4/19/20

RICK CASTRO: DIARY-4/18/2020

So This Is How The World Will End: by Rick Castro 4/18/2020


I put up a hammock this morning!
 Even though Bee’s cabin is only two rooms, ( living area, dining area, kitchen all-in-one, then separate bedroom, service room and toilet) every day I find little kitsch treasures that are nostalgic, and useful. Today hidden deep in a cupboard, I found a pink & white hammock. It is so cutie.

I can just picture Bee going into a Pick & Save, (does anyone remember those?)  circa 1970, and spotting this cheery hammock. “This would be perfect for the cabin,” she would be thinking. Purchased it for a bargain of $5.99 and then brings it up to her cabin. Once here she proudly shows my father, who replies, “who’s gonna want to use that? Too much trouble to set up and none of the trees branches are strong enough to support.” So Bee quietly placed in the white cupboard in the plastic bag it was purchased it. Now fifty years later, I stumble upon her treasure, still in the same plastic bag, covered in dust, but the hammock, new as the day she bought it.

I finished me tea quickly, then excitedly ran outside and hung her up. What do you think of my choice of locale? Next to Al’s weathered picnic table and charcoal grey, 70s era kitchen chairs. I’ve placed them for the day when I’ll have real people over for tea. Whenever that will be.

This is one of my fave areas on the property. I distinctly remember helping Al plant this Chinese elm, chosen because they are hearty. He planted another ten elms in various area of the acreage, but this one is the largest, oldest and wisest. My sister and her new Christian husband, (married for less than a year. Both widowed) threatened to trim the trees. I had a fit. 
Why do you act like this is the suburbs! Next thing you’ll wanna pour cement and have sidewalks. How about a parking lot! I protested vehemently stating, “the unruly trees and weathered bench are romantic, like a picnic in Tuscany.” They didn’t know what the fuck I was talking about. Of course this is before the plague, so who knows if they’ll ever be able to come up here again, and what a waste of money during a crisis. 

Underneath the other cluster of trees, I set up a small folding table and metal chairs. This group consists of one large pine tree, two large Chinese elm and four smaller elms, plus one small pine which appears to be dead. The season will tell if this turns out to be true or not. The table and chairs I found cobwebbed and dusty in dad’s garage. I added a piece of thin plywood as a table top. The terra-cotta pot is also my dad’s from his home in Monterey Park. I planted something, like an avocado, but it hasn't come up as of yet. 
I like the austere quality. 


Tonite I kinda over did it at my Virtual Happy Hour! I mixed a combo of Makers Mark Whiskey, Ginger Beer, orange & lemon juices, with an orange wedge as garnish. They were so good. I call it “the high desert.” I only had six small glasses, but I’m feeling it now. Less is more here. Austerity works best in the high desert.

So this is how the world will end.
copyright-rick castro- 4/2020



Please donate to Rick Castro: It’s the right thing to do- here-


No comments:

Post a Comment