11/7/11

TOM OF FINLAND: PUBLIC & PRIVATE



THIS IS THE PREFACE PAGE OF TOM'S HISTORIC FIRST BOOK~
TOM OF FINLAND retrospective
At the time when I became aware of my sexual direction, before World War II, all gay activity was forbidden by law in most countries. The gay men I met felt ashamed and guilty, like belonging to a lower human category because they had no right to enjoy their different sexuality.
In my opinion it was very unfair, but even though I had to hide my own desires - or maybe because of it - I started drawing fantasies of free and happy gay men. Soon I began to exaggerate their maleness on purpose to point out that all gays don't necessarily need to be just "those damn queers," that they could be as handsome and strong and masculine as any other men.
My young man's hectic sexual experiences with Finnish and Ger- man soldiers in the army during the war built in me a strong fetish for uniforms which has continued through my life and can be seen again and again in my fantasy illustrations.
For several years I made my drawings in secret, just for myself. Then, finally, I showed them to some other people and in 1957 in Los Angeles, one of the few all male magazines in the world at that time, began to publish them.
During the years after that, I started seriously to train myself to develop a detailed photorealistic style to make my drawings look more life like.
I know that there are still today many people who for different reasons don't accept gayness in our world, but I also know that there are others who share my fantasies, and for all those of you, I have made this book.

TOM OF FINLAND- Los Angeles, 1988


please join~ RICK CASTRO, ANTEBELLUM, DURK DEHNER, SHARP &  
THE TOM OF FINLAND FOUNDATION in honoring the 20 year anniversary of the passing of 
TOM OF FINLAND

tonight- 6pm til 9pm
$10 donation
ANTEBELLUM
1643 N Las Palmas Ave
Hollywood, CA 90028
323 856-0667
antebellum@earthlink.net


No comments:

Post a Comment