The Hierophant (V), in some decks named The Pope, is the fifth trump or Major Arcana card in most traditional Tarot decks.
Some frequent keywords associated with The Hierophant include:
- Education — Knowledge — Status quo — Institution
- Conservatism — Discipline — Maturity — Formality
- Deception — Power — Respect — Duality
- Social convention — Belief system — Group identification
- Experience — Tradition — Naïve
the Hierophant is represented with his right hand raised in what is known esoterically as the blessing or benediction, with two fingers pointing skyward and two pointing down, thus forming a bridge between Heaven and Earth reminiscent of that formed by the body of The Hanged Man. The Hierophant is thus a true “pontiff”, in that he is the builder of the bridge between deity and humanity. The Hierophant is typically male, even in decks that take a feminist view of the Tarot, such as the Motherpeace Tarot. The Heirophant was also known as "The Teacher of Wisdom."